Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Go Chemical Free!

I have to admit, I've been a bit lazy this past year about buying chemical free beauty and cleaning products. I'm usually pretty good and try and buy cruelty free products, but that's no guarantee they're also chemical free. I got a big wake-up call yesterday, when I read an interview with Gillian Deacon, who wrote the book, There's Lead in you Lipstick. She reminded me of the dangers of the multiple toxins I'm exposing myself to everyday. From the Sodium Laurel Sulfate (SLS) in my shampoo and facial cleanser to the DEA in my toner. I can't even believe I thought these products were doing me any good!

If you go to her website www.GillDeacon.ca, she lists the top toxins to avoid. I printed it off and began investigating the ingredient list on the products I used everyday. I was shocked! The expensive toner, that I use twice everyday, mostly consists of dangerous toxins. I was kinda mad at myself, because I should have know better, but I guess I bought into the beauty industry's marketing efforts.

When I was in my teens, I used to go crazy making my own face masks, lip balms and toners. I don't know why I ever stopped, but today I'm making a trip to a local health store to buy some natural ingredients, like rose oil and witch hazel, so I can resume making my own toners again. Admittedly, one of my top natural beauty secrets is using extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil as a facial and body moisturizer. It really works wonders! Also, rather than buying lip balms that are pumped full of chemicals, I keep a small jar of Vaseline in my purse.

I'm excited to rid my drawers and myself of all these dangerous chemicals. I think it's liberating to take back control of what we're not only feeding the inside of our bodies, but the outside, as well.

If you have any chemical free beauty tips, please share! I'd love to hear them.

There's Lead In Your Lipstick

No comments:

Post a Comment